Moving for the first time is an exciting experience, but it comes with much stress for new homeowners. Beyond the cost and anxieties over this massive life change, homeowners are often stressed out about the moving process.
Whether you aren’t sure what to bring with you or worried about your belongings breaking in transit from poor packaging, you might have an endless number of concerns about moving day. However, with the proper guidance, you can save time and money to make your move a guaranteed success.
To help you prepare for your big move, we’ve compiled three essential moving tips for beginners uncertain about where to begin. Our tips will help guarantee that you navigate moving day like a seasoned pro. Let’s dive in!
Tip #1: Declutter Before You Move
Moving can be an overwhelming process on its own. If you’ve accumulated many belongings over the years, making a move becomes even more daunting. A thorough decluttering is essential before you move to your first home, and taking the time to sift through your belongings and get rid of any items you don’t need or use will take a massive weight off your shoulders.
Some people falsely believe that the items you remove during decluttering are thrown in the trash, never to be seen again. However, this is far from the truth, and you’ll have plenty of options for sustainably getting rid of your belongings. For instance, consider the following when deciding what to do with your old stuff:
- Host a garage sale to earn some extra cash before you move into your new home
- Donate your belongings to a charity that you’re passionate about
- Bring your items to a thrift store
- Sell your items online
- Give items to your friends and family
On top of all these benefits, decluttering can save you a massive amount of time when you start packing your things and save you moving costs by consolidating your belongings. It’s a win-win situation for you and people who can show your belongings some more love!
Tip #2: Plan Your Move Ahead of Time
While it might sound obvious, many elements play during moving day, and many new homeowners forget to plan some minor details. The earlier you start planning, the better–this extra period can give you ample time to save more money, get rid of things you no longer need, and figure out the logistics of moving.
One of the top ways to plan your move is with a thorough moving checklist. Your moving checklist should include the following factors that you’ll need to plan ahead of time:
- Get an estimate and hire a reputable moving company well before you move to guarantee availability and get the best price.
- Notify your utility companies for service disconnections or transfers, including your electricity, gas, water, internet, and cable companies.
- Change your address on all essential documents and with your post office, bank, credit card company, insurance provider, and any organization that needs your new address.
- Pack safely with plenty of packing supplies and label your boxes to make unpacking easier.
- Make arrangements for your pets if you have any.
- Make arrangements for any children to make the moving day run smoothly.
- Clean your residence before entering your new home, including your appliances, windows, and floors.
- Ensure your new home is ready for arrival and your utilities are functioning correctly.
Tip #3: Pack Smartly
Take your time when it comes to packing up your belongings. Packing smartly can save you time from having to reorganize your boxes, and prevent costly damages that make your move more expensive.
Before you begin packing, invest in sturdy boxes, bubble wrap, and packing tape to protect all of your belongings during transit. Consider packing your clothes and linens in suitcases or duffel bags, as this will reduce the number of boxes you need to carry your things. Packing smartly streamlines the moving process to ensure that your moving day is a success.
Packing smartly often boils down to your packing order. Packing everything in a logical order will prevent you from digging through boxes later on to find something you need. It’s best to start with non-essential belongings. These belongings include anything you own that you can comfortably live without until you move into your new residence, such as the following:
- Rarely used silverware or fine china
- Wall hangings and picture frames
- Trinkets and decorations
- Extra linens and towels
- Out-of-season clothes
Pack your essentials last. This list should include everything that you can’t live without until moving day or until closer to moving day, such as your medications, toiletries, and comfortable moving-day clothes. If you’re not sure where to turn once you’ve packed your non-essential items, determine which room you use least in your residence, and start there.
How Smooth Move Can Make Your Move a Success
Preparing for moving day is essential, whether you’re a first-time mover or have moved more times than you can count. While there are numerous things you can do on your own to prepare for the big day, you’ll need a strong team of movers once the day arrives. Homeowners in South Carolina choose Smooth Move for all of their moving needs.
Lowcountry homeowners making their first move won’t have to worry about a complicated and exhausting moving process. The experts at Smooth Move can take care of all the heavy lifting so you can enjoy your first home without any unnecessary stress. We offer safe, reliable, and courteous movers to help you with any of the following moving services:
- Short or long-distance moves
- Full-service packing and unpacking
- Residential or commercial moves
- Junk removal
- Delivery service
- Competitively priced moving boxes and supplies
Pairing our moving tips for beginners with our experienced team of movers is a surefire way to make your first move a success. Getting started with Smooth Move is easy. Contact us today to get a free quote on your move and confidently plan your future.